Have you heard of dōTERRA essential oils? You may have heard about them but not really understand what all the fuss is about so let me try and enlighten you…
Before I begin, there is SO much to say about these wonderful oils that I could never fit it into one post so I will just start with my experience… A year or so ago a friend of mine started selling dōTERRA and we found ourselves at the same event – me selling my yarn and she was selling her oils. I have to admit to being a bit of a sceptic as to their actual therapeutic value but couldn’t deny they smelled absolutely amazing – much better than other essential oils I had smelled in the past…
Anyway, when she tried to “sell” them to me I was initially reluctant, but decided no harm to be done by hearing her out. I invited her round for lunch so we could just talk with no obligation or “push”. She explained to me that they might actually help my husbands insomnia, or my son’s constant upset tummy and other minor conditions so I thought why not give them a go. I chose a couple that I particularly liked the scent of, and a couple that she recommended to fix the aforementioned ailments but I had absolutely no expectations – which was perhaps the best way to approach them – other than they would make my house smell really nice.
They arrived with the diffuser and I immediately set it up, added my favourite oil – a blend called Elevation – and when my husband came home he commented on how nice the house smelled… first objective achieved. The next seemed much less likely to work – we diffused Serenity and applied Vetiver to our toes before bed, and I kid you not – the next morning I was aware how much more deeply I had slept. My husband generally wakes around 3 times each night and has trouble getting back to sleep. He invariably only sleeps around 4-5 hours each night, and although he had woken up a few times, he had been able to go straight back to sleep! “It’s just a coincidence he said”… until the next night when the same thing happened! Before long the whole family was applying oil to our feet before bedtime and although we don’t do it every night, we really notice the difference when we do!
This was in October last year, and since then the oils have crept into every aspect of my life. My family and I use them literally every day:
- they have replaced many of my household cleaning chemicals, including my kitchen surface spray which means cleaning without the use of harsh chemicals (in fact one of the oils has such strong antibiotic properties that it has even shown to kill MRSA)
- I use them in cooking (one drop of Oregano or Thyme is ALL you need to flavour a whole dish),
- a drop of lemon or grapefruit in my water is refreshing, cleansing AND delicious;
- a drop of bergamot in my tea makes it extra “Earl Grey”
- I make skin creams and balms for my children who are prone to eczema and allergic to many skin products (if you’ve bought yarn from me recently you’ll also have been sent one of these samples with your order)
- I have an “owie” spray which we use on burns, cuts and grazes – it’s naturally antibiotic and it doesn’t sting! So much so that the kids now actually ask for it when they’ve hurt themselves!
- I use them in my shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel, and I have also made my own deodorant that doesn’t contain any of the usual nasties like aluminium, petrolatum, or phthalates
- I have rollers for just about everything from upset tummies, colds and flu deterrent, sleep aids etc as well as mood enhancers, lifters and boosters. I’m also menopausal and find it very cooling!
The list is endless and I am only just beginning…
So, why am I telling you all this, as it’s not really “yarn” related… BUT, because I love the oils so much, I have become a wellness advocate – which means that I can share the amazing therapeutic benefits of the oils with others. I have been speaking to a few of my yarnie friends and I am going start by introducing subscription boxes with mystery yarn and oils. I am still working out the details, but I imagine they will be monthly, and each month will focus on a particular oil, its uses and benefits, with a hand dyed skein or two to compliment that month’s oil. Why? Because I genuinely believe that once you start using them you will love them as much as I do. There is a real move towards reducing our footprint and what can be better for the environment than using its own natural medicines.
If you want to know more then please sign up to my mailing list here or check the box below, and when I have ironed out the details I will write to you all with details of how to subscribe.
Until then, love as always